Monday, February 4, 2008

An “Embarrassing Date” with fate.

1986 ... I was a 33 years old, single airline pilot, stud muffin. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it...now get over it.)

I was living with 6 other pilots in a "crash pad" apartment in Greensboro, NC. My good buddy Bob lived upstairs from us. Bob was a supervisor at a construction site for a large home builder. We would go out every weekend and "Hit" the town. Other wise known as "hittin" on all the single women at dance joints.

Well, Bob started dating the FedEx delivery gal who delivered stuff to his construction site.

One day she told me that her best friend was coming down from Richmond, VA to spend the weekend and wanted to know if I would go out on a double date. I said "Show me a picture first and I'll let you know." Is that a self proclaimed stud muffin answer or what?

I cant believe I said yes. Me on a blind date??? Argh!

We all went out dancing. I had just moved up from Miami and usually wore jeans, t-shirt, flip flops... Bob clued me in and wrangled me into Kahkkis, long sleeve shirt with a bulky sweater, penny loafers. I was sweating up a storm on the dance floor. Darlene said "Why don't you take your sweater off?" I refused. Didn't want to ruin the stud muffin outfit, it was a complete package ya know.

Dar went back to Virginia and told everyone I was "way too preppy" for her...but I had a nice Mercedes and loved to spend $$$. (always put your best assets up forward of your faults...)

6 months later were engaged, and a year after that sweaty night...we were married, over 21 years later she's still my guiding light.

That blind date turned out to be a free gift from God. He sent an angle to change my life forever. An answer to my prayers.

Hence... my “Embarrassing Date” with fate.